Yesterday was the 6-month follow up for my eyes.
Basically, my eyes are better. They are not perfect, but they are better. They are not quite as dry (unless is that time of the month) as they were at 6 months. The plugs did not help. However, my eyes appear to be getting better, on their own, over time. I am hopeful that at the 1-year mark my eyes will be much closer to normal than they are even now.
I did joke around with my doctor about wearing wind blocking goggles at the warehouse where I volunteer. And, I showed her the little bottle of water I carry around to spritz my eyelids with as needed. She got a kick out of both.
She also told me about two other options, should I want to try them:
- Actual eye spritz (eg. Nature’s Tears Eyemist 2 pack or Optrex Actimist Eye Spray – 100 Metred Doses)
- NITE EYE “bubble” moisture chamber bandages (for use a night mostly, I think)
Other than that, she checked my tear production and did say it looked better but to continue with the fish oil
daily. I guess the fish oil helps with the oils in the eye that then help create the tears and moisture…don’t quote me on that, though.
Now I just wait for my 1-year follow up appointment. At that time I will also be getting computer/reading glasses, as I am now farsighted versus nearsighted. I decided to wait, as this is the year our VSP also covers a new pair of glasses.
- Eyes still dry, but not as bad. Maybe going through 1-2 preservative-free vials of eye drops a day rather than 4-5.
- Spritzing my eyelids frequently with water for moisture.
- Bright light still irritates my eyes, so I carry sunglasses everywhere I go.