The apple dumpling recipe that is all over the internet (and on many blogger’s websites) but made with cinnamon rolls and caramel chips/bits.
Recipe inspiration: Mountain Dew Apple Dumplings, Crescent Roll Apple Dumplings, Apple Dumplings. (Search “Mountain Dew Apple Dumplings” and you will have more recipes than you can read come up in the search.)
Cinnamon Roll Caramel Apple Dumplings
- 4 each whole Granny Smith Apples or any other type of apple you prefer
- 2 cans Cinnamon Rolls 8 rolls to a can
- 2 cups Kraft Caramel Bits
- 1 cup Butter (two sticks) not margarine
- 1 cup + 1/4 cup White Sugar
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 tablespoons + 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 12 oz Mountain Dew Soda
- Peel and core apples.
- Dice apples into bite size chunks.
- Toss with ¼ cup white sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon.
- Unroll Cinnamon Rolls.
- Flatten 1 Cinnamon Roll.
- Place heaping spoonful of apple mixture onto flattened Cinnamon Roll.
- Add 1 tablespoon of caramel bits.
- Fold, or roll, Cinnamon Roll over and seal edge with fork or fingers. (Note: They won't roll up perfectly. Just get the sides of the roll to touch.)
- Place seam side down in a 9 x 13 foil lined, non-stick spray coated pan.
- Repeat with remaining Cinnamon Rolls and apple mixture.
Sauce + Mountain Dew
- Melt butter, then add remaining white and brown sugar.
- Stir until just combined.
- Add vanilla, stir, and pour entire mixture over apples.
- Pour Mountain Dew around the edges of the pan.
- Place rolls in a 350 degree oven.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until tops are brown and the sauce is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and let cool or serve immediately with ice cream or whipped topping.
Peel and core apples.
Dice apples into bite size chunks.
Toss with ¼ cup white sugar.
Add 1/2 tsp cinnamon.
Stir until fully mixed.
Unroll Cinnamon Rolls.
Flatten 1 Cinnamon Roll using a rolling pin.
Place heaping spoonful of apples and several caramel bits onto flattened Cinnamon Roll.
Fold, or roll, Cinnamon Roll over and seal edge with fork or fingers. (Note: Do the best you can. They won’t roll perfectly.)
Place seam side down in a 9 x 13 non-stick or spray coated pan. (Note: Or you can use two 9×9 pans.)
If you have any apple mixture leftover, sprinkle over top of rolls.
Melt butter in a sauce pan.
Add white sugar.
Add brown sugar.
Add vanilla, stir.
Stir until just combined.
Pour entire mixture over apples.
Pour Mountain Dew around the edges of the pan.
The sauce will bubble up.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
Remove from oven once they are golden brown around the edges. Spoon some of the sweet sauces from the pan over the top and serve warm.