I love hot chocolate! On a cold winter day, on a fall day, on a summer day…ok, maybe more like chilled hot chocolate then, but I love hot chocolate! And repeat, I love hot chocolate!
Lately I have been looking at a high fat, low carb diet in order to combat pain. My doctor thinks it is a great idea.
The trick is getting myself motivated. And, I really don’t like making breakfast in the morning, so bacon and eggs (that are highly recommended) just don’t make it to my stove that early in the day.
When I went looking for low carb (Modified Atkins) type recipes, I came across this one for Hot Chocolate on the Atkins for Seizures website.
First let me say, this is not that exact recipe. It is very close, but since I am not doing this “medically”, I chose not measure in grams and left out things like the extra “fat” and doubled the cocoa. This is a loose variation of that recipe.
What caught my attention was that the mother who posted this recipe makes it for her daughter as a breakfast. Why? Because her daughter is not a huge fan of breakfast. Hmmm…..rings a bell.
The first time I made this I did not have heavy cream. I had half-n-half, which was ok but not that great, and raised the carb level.
The key is the heavy cream! It is so creamy you will think you have whipped cream in your hot chocolate.
Ok, technically you do, it just isn’t sweet.
The one squirt of liquid Stevia is perfect. You can add more if you really want to.
This is such a simple breakfast and it warms the tummy and the soul. 🙂
1. Get out all ingredients.
2. Pour almond milk into a sauce pan.
3. Pour heavy cream into the sauce pan.
4. Add cocoa.
5. Add stevia.
6. Blend with hand blender until cream begins to whip and rise.
7. Turn heat on medium high. Stirring continuously, heat until steam starts to form above liquid. (About now the chocolate aroma will be making you dream of all things sweet….be careful not to dream too far off…the liquid will burn if not stirred.)
9. Pour into a mug and sip and relax! I use a straw…just ’cause. 🙂
Hot Chocolate (Low Carb / Modified Atkins)
by ~ The Flip Flop Wife
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 cup Almond Milk (Unsweetened – Vanilla)
- 2 Tablespoons Cocoa (Unsweetened)
- 1 squirt Skinny Girl Liquid Stevia
- Get out all ingredients.
- Pour almond milk into a sauce pan.
- Pour heavy cream into the sauce pan.
- Add cocoa.
- Add stevia.
- Blend with hand blender until cream begins to whip and rise.
- Turn heat on medium high.
- Stirring continuously, heat until steam starts to form above liquid.
- Pour into a mug and sip and relax! I use a straw…just ’cause. 🙂
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Bake Time: 5 minutes
- Two cups each of Almond Milk and Heavy Cream makes enough for two breakfasts.
- This recipe makes just a tad over 1 serving, so cutting back on the Almond Milk about 1/4 cup should make it 1 serving.
- You could make some whipped cream from the Heavy Cream to top the chocolate.